Demand & Capacity
Understanding the requests for patient services (demand) and the supply available to meet them (capacity) is fundamental to the reduction of waiting list (backlogs) and the successful redesign of a more flexible system.
Yesterday’s demand too often takes up today’s capacity and results in systems which ‘freeze’ some of that capacity in order to meet ‘unpredictable’ clinically urgent demand. This results in further reduced capacity, increased additions to the backlog and more work stored up for tomorrow.
In order to break this cycle we need to improve our understanding of the patients’ flow through the system, identify constraints, measure our demand and capacity on a daily basis and design systems which protect tomorrow by today’s work today.
What is involved to undertake this piece of work?
- Agreement is needed from stakeholders.
- The team will map your process.
- Data collection will commence on daily/hourly basis over three month period.
- Data analysed by Network data analyst.
- Report generated by Network.
What will I get out of this?
- Independent comprehensive report.
- Assistance in facilitating and delivering an action plan.
- Future support with sustainability.